Thursday, February 23, 2012

The First 30 Days



After years or gaining, losing, starving, fasting, binge eating, going up in sizes and down in sizes, I think I have finally listened to what every healthy person says about permanent weight loss: DO IT THE RIGHT WAY. By right way I mean get off your chubby ass, move your body (sweating is great too) and eat a balanced diet. I love the easy way, the quick fix, I want to see pounds gone on the scale daily, but the only way I ever accomplished that was by consuming zero carbs or fasting. These are both fabulous diets if you are aiming for the general look of malnourishment, not to mention having a severe lack of energy.

My first low carb diet was about 5 years ago. I didn't know anything about the risks of eating bacon and red meat everyday, all I cared about was knowing that I lost 16lbs my first month! Wow! Too bad I love bread, and as soon as I decided I wanted to eat a sandwich, it was all over. 5 years later and I'm heavier than I have ever been. Anytime someone tags a picture of me online I cringe at the thought of 3 chins or having the belly of a woman who is 5 months pregnant.

My diet was not my only issue, I drank a lot of alcohol and had been smoking for 15 years. Ugh! Typing 15 makes me feel nauseous! I have never been one to make New Years resolutions, but when push comes to shove 2011 was a pretty shitty year, (and I am not one to complain) so some changes needed to made. On January 1st, I got on the patch, joined an online support group to track my daily progress, and I quit smoking....for good. During this time I also decided to fast from alcohol for 2 weeks, which was truly necessary. Then it was weight loss time. I officially started "my new lifestyle" on January 24th. One month in and I have lost 10lbs. 10lbs the right way and I have had pizza (several times) and a burger with fries. Everyone needs a little junk in their life, the key word is little not daily. This is my blog as I set off on a journey to lose 60lbs, well 50lbs now!

This is what I have learned so far:

JOIN A GYM- if you can not afford a gym you will eventually b/c my grocery bill has literally been cut in half. If you still can't afford a gym, start walking/jogging, buy a couple of 5lb weights, and start working out at home. YouTube and Hulu have great workout videos for free. Having a workout partner is also a major plus.

EAT A CONSISTENT DIET- I make a weekly menu and pretty much stick to the same meals & snacks, then switch it up every week. I fell like knowing exactly what I'm eating day in and day out has ceased any food anxiety.

START A FOOD & EXERCISE JOURNAL- I have never in my life done this, but it's so effective. It's kept me accountable and is an excellent way to track your process and stay patient. My third week in I gained 5lbs, normally I would have flipped out and starved myself for a day, but looking back on my entries there was nothing other than muscle gain causing the influx. The 5lbs (plus an extra 2) was gone by week 4.

ALLOW YOURSELF SOME LEEWAY- I ran my first 5K last weekend and had pizza and beer afterward. If you are working out consistently (at least 4-5 times a week) and eating a healthly well-balanced diet, you can have that unhealthy meal once a week. Not all day binge eating, but one big fatty meal to tide you over til next time. Plan accordingly! If I am going to a party, I plan on that being my indulgent day.

DON'T GET ON THE SCALE EVERY DAY AND GET OBSESSED- This is a very hard habit to break, especially if you are used to fab diets. Muscle weighs more than fat and you will gain a few pounds one week or none another week. Stay consistent and healthy and you will take it off. In the back of my mind I expected to lose more (afterall I have been working so hard!!) but you will lose more inches in the beginning and I have already lost quite a bit from my muffintop and stomach. Plus EVERY trainer will tell you that you need at least 6 weeks to start seeing results. So patience necessary!

No comments:

Post a Comment